CBN, also known as Cannabinol, is a chemical compound found in hemp plants and cannabis. As the cannabis plant ages, the main psychoactive component Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is extracted then it naturally changes to CBN. CBN oil is often suspended in medium-chain triglyceride (MCT oil) with very low cannabis concentration, though manufacturers have come up with ways to increase the ratio of CBN in products.
Though Cannabinol has not been studied as extensively as the major cannabinoids like CBG and CBD oils, it does not have the characteristic high linked to cannabis. The research on this minor cannabinoid is making significant headway with promising health benefits, such as:
CBN has an identical chemical composition with THC, with a tiny fraction of the psychoactive characteristics. This compound directly affects the regulatory system, endocannabinoid (ECS), which keeps our bodies stable in a state of homeostatic. CB1 And CB2 receptors aid the ECS in helping our bodies to operate normally by regulating functions of the system that is:
- Mental state.
CBN works with these two receptors, although it often connects with the CB2 receptor. This binding activates a reaction in TPRV2 receptor, which produces protein naturally. The result is a compound that helps in treating skin conditions, pain, or other inflammations. The chemical structure of the plant undergoes some changes when exposed to air, heat, and sunlight, altering the Cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) to CBN cannabinol. It is further classified as alcohol making it reactive to Hydrocarbons, Aromatic, Alcohol, and Polyols, Aromatic groups.
How does CBN work?
CBN oil’s popularity as a natural alternative with minimal side effects has grown over the years, substituting some prescription medicine. It can be safely used as a sleeping aid or sedative. It is also known to be a pain reliever and treat conditions like anxiety, depression, Crohn's disease, and arthritis. CBN oil is administered using a dropper, where a couple of drops are placed in the mouth under the tongue for at least 20 seconds before swallowing. Grogginess and sedation may result from CBN depending on our bodies' different reactions to cannabinol, and, therefore, it is important to avoid activities like driving or machine operations. Those that are on other medication may need to consult with their health providers before using CBN oil.
Why is it Important to Choose the Right CBN Oil?
CBN oil is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means anyone can produce, sell and access the oil without permission or prescription from the authorities and health experts. Therefore, it is essential to choose the correct percentage of CBN oil, which is often mixed with CBD oil and others like olive or coconut oil.
Firstly, it is advisable to consult with your healthcare provider about the need for the oil to get the right prescription for your specific need, be it sleep deprivation, loss of appetite, pain, or anxiety. Secondly, choose CBN products that a third-party laboratory has tested. The reports from the labs with analysis certificates indicate the cannabinol make-up, and they should be made readily available to users. A test on heavy metals and pesticides should also be included in the report.
It is safer to get it from a licensed pharmacist who stocks reputable brands, or you can visit the official websites of these brands to get comprehensive details of all the ingredients used in the manufacture of the oils. Reading CBN reviews and the labels of the products will also inform you of what ingredients and their potency are.
Benefits and Use
CBN oil has a variety of uses, chief among which is a pain reliever. The weak effect it has on the central immune system notwithstanding, it records better performance than placebo or opiates based on the clinical trials which are currently underway. Users of the oil must consider that we are different, and therefore, there is no standard dosage for everyone. Under the guidance of a physician, the proper dosage will depend on:
- Intake method;
- CBN oil concentration.
Below are some of the benefits of the Cannabinol, which the preliminary scientific research advocates for:
- As a sedative: CBN products are primarily promoted as sleep aids. Research that was done in mice showed that CBN prolongs sleep. It is a powerful sedative, especially when mixed with THC, and it helps in reducing anxiety.
- Appetite stimulation: a well-known fact of cannabis is its ability to increase appetite due to the THC content. CBN oil has, however, shown its capability to stimulate appetite without the psychoactive outcome, based on a 2012 study. The study states, "This is the first time Cannabinol (CBN) has been shown to increase feeding. Therefore, Cannabinol could, in the future, provide an alternative to the currently used and psychotropic ∆9THC-based medicines since Cannabinol is currently considered to be non-psychotropic."
- As an anti-inflammatory: The use of CBN oil to reduce inflammation is a potential benefit, according to a 1974 study on lab rats. Researches are still studying the effect of the human endocannabinoid system on the immune system and CBN's capability to be therapeutic and treat inflammatory illnesses.
- As a pain reliever: According to research, CBN has an effect on the behavior of neurons that react to capsaicin, these capsaicin-sensitive nerves, are the body's way of signaling pain. This gives CBN pain-relieving abilities.
- An antibiotic: CBN has bacteria-fighting capabilities, according to research. A study conducted in 2008 showed that CBN is effective in treating MRSA, which is a bacterial infection that is notoriously resistant to other antibiotics. The researchers reported "potent activity against a variety of MRSA strains of current clinical relevance."
- A Neuroprotectant: Cannabinol is a strong contender for treating "the most common adult-onset motor neuron disorder." This is based on a 2005 study on its effect on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in mice. In the study, researchers said, "CBN was delivered via subcutaneously implanted osmotic mini-pumps (5mg/kg/day) over a period of up to 12 weeks. We found that this treatment significantly delays disease onset by more than two weeks…".
- Treating Glaucoma: In 2007, Israeli scientists carried out research and discovered that CBN had the desired effect on Ocular Hypertension (OHT), which is the primary cause of glaucoma. The study showed that "THC, CBN, and nabilone were active in lowering intraocular pressure (IOP) in rabbits, while CBD was inactive."
Research that is being carried out on the therapeutic importance of CBN is heating up because of its interest that is spiking. Hemp extracts produce the "entourage effect" which has a few known side effects. Studies indicate that this effect has the intended wellness benefit though it is advisable to start low on the dosage to gauge it. There is minimal risk of psychoactive effects in CBN oil because only a small THC concentration can be contained in it. The anecdotal evidence shows that CBN provides the best sleep, though it is recommended to consult with your health physician on the use of dietary supplements. With its powerful sedative properties, research shows that CBN is mildly psychoactive, meaning it does not affect brain function and mental consciousness. There are no known side effects, but that means it has not been studied exhaustively. However, pregnant women, children, and intoxicated individuals are strongly advised against using it.
Hemp plants were made legal by the 2018 Farm Bill, making CBN products legal so long as they result from industrial-grade hemp and have at least 0.3% THC. Several other brands produce products that have cannabinoids that are gotten from industrial hemp. It is necessary to check with the state's law on the legality of recreational marijuana since CBN products derived from cannabis are legal in states where recreational marijuana is legal. Therefore, it is core to ensure you understand the law of your state before purchasing CBN oil.
Tags: best time of day to take cbd oil, best rated full spectrum cbd oil, cbd treats for cats, cbd oil for dogs, cbd oil for perimenopause, can you buy cbd oil in pennsylvania, cbd for children, best cbd water, cbd gummies for kids dosage, vegan organic cbd gummies