CBD Oils for PTSD
Most people have experienced trauma in some way. Trauma can come from various places – war, abuse, disasters, accidents or traumatic loss. It can affect and overwhelm one’s abilities to cope. Response to trauma may have devastating consequences. If someone is feeling disconnected, distressed or isolated after witnessing or experiencing a life-threatening event, they might have PTSD. The present treatment methods are often unsuccessful and some may even have unwanted side effects. In recent years, studies have confirmed the ability of CBD or cannabidiol to be beneficial in improving the symptoms of PTSD.
Here, we discuss cannabidiol and PTSD, and how high-quality CBD oil can help support your trauma recovery. We have also explored the benefits of using CBD oil for PTSD and why it is thought to be an excellent non-addictive alternative to conventional PTSD treatments.
Best CBD Oils for PTSD in 2022
Key Facts: With 3500mg of CBD Isolate
Total CBD: 3500 mg
Volume: 30 ml
Strength: 116.67 mg/ml
Ingredients: Hemp extract, MCT oil
Ingredients: Natural Colorado CBD Oil Extract, Organic Golden Hemp Seed Oil
Pro Tip: Pairs great with Nirvana CBD Gummies, Nirvana CBD Natural Softgel Capsules, and Nirvana CBD Body Lotion
Active Ingredients: Phytocannabinoid-Rich Hemp Oil (0.0% THC)
Inactive Ingredients: Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT Oil), Natural Oil-Based Flavoring
How To Use: Shake well, fill dropper and place drops under your tongue
Natural flavors: Mint, Lemon, and Unflavored
Weight: 15 lbs
CBD-mg: 16MG CBD/ML (500MG/Bottle), 33MG CBD/ML (1000MG/Bottle), 50MG CBD/ML (1500MG/Bottle), 100MG CBD/ML (3000MG/Bottle)
Ingredients: Organic Hemp Cannabidiol Extract, Organic Coconut MCT Oil, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil
Key Facts: With 550mg of CBD Isolate
Total CBD: 550 mg
Volume: 30 ml
Strength: 18.33 mg/ml
Ingredients: Hemp extract, MCT oil
Ingredients: Full Spectrum CBD Tincture
How to use: Just one dropper full on or under the tongue delivers 10mg of our potent CBD plus all the Full-Spectrum benefits
Dosing: 1-2 droppers full on or under the tongue offers symptom relief from; Pain, anxiety, sleep disorder, arthritis, and more
Ingredients: Essential Hemp oil (Cannabidiol), Hemp Terpenes, organic coconut, and peppermint oil.
Ingredients: Organic MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) Oil, Organically Grown Broad Spectrum Hemp Extract, CBG Isolate, Ginger Extract, Terpenes
View all CBD Oils for PTSD
What is PTSD (Post-traumatic Stress Disorder)?
PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder is an anxiety disorder that affects those who have been threatened by a traumatic event or experienced it. Feeling nervous, scared or helpless is quite normal after an upsetting occurrence like, a car accident, a violent attack or the death of a near and dear one. This response to stress helps you survive. Remembers the danger enables you to go into fight-or-flight mode when faced with a similar situation next time.
However, PTSD is not the same as for traumatic stress. Chronic stress usually goes away in a matter of weeks or days. You might remember the event, but you will stop responding to its memory with very strong emotions. On the other hand, PTSD persists and also produced recurring symptoms that may interfere with your daily functioning.
Signs of PTSD
- Flashbacks and nightmares.
- Sleep disturbances.
- Negative, intrusive thoughts.
- Intense fear.
- Irritability and anger.
- Startle response.
- Emotional numbness.
- Trouble with concentration or memory.
It is possible for you to feel out of control because you may feel that you cannot handle your emotions. This is because traumatic stress alters the brain. Stress hormones lead to changing the communication circuits in the nervous system. This is why traumatic experiences can also prevent the generation of new neurons and destroy brain cells. Some people have triggers that make them react harshly or intensely.
How Does CBD Help?
Are you wondering how does CBD help PTSD? CBD, along with THC is the primary active compound in marijuana. Both of these compounds exert effects on the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is a network of neurotransmitters and receptors. This system plays a key role in ensuring that the body stays healthy. While THC is responsible for producing psychoactive effects, CBD does not alter the mind.
As we have mentioned before, several PTSD symptoms are a result of the alterations in the way that emotional memories are processed. Productive treatment is meant to block the retrieval and intensified association of traumatic memories, diminish anxiety and enhance the extermination of those memories. Since the endocannabinoid system regulates emotions and contributes to the recovery, consolidation and elimination of memories, it may serve as a potential target for the treatment of PTSD.
The broad range of symptoms related to PTSD points to the involvement of several neurotransmitter systems. By acting on some of these systems, CBD aims to help the effective and cognitive issues that characterize PTSD.
The endocannabinoid system consists of the following:
- CB1 & CB2 receptors.
- Enzymes that destroy and produce endocannabinoids.
Cannabinoid receptors are found throughout the central nervous system. They are found in the same areas of the brain that show changes in patients suffering from PTSD. Endocannabinoids are responsible for regulating mental functions and emotional behavior. While CB1 receptors are related to processes that control neural communication, the CB2 receptors are usually linked with immune responses.
You can emotionally stay balanced if the endocannabinoid system continues to operate properly. Administering exogenous cannabinoids like, CBD, might restore some of the processes that become adaptive in people with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Benefits of CBD Oil for PTSD
Promising benefits of CBD have been discovered that can alleviate the symptoms associated with PTSD, especially in people who haven’t responded to traditional therapies. By working on different areas of the endocannabinoid system in your body, CBD can help to improve various PTSD symptoms.
The myriad benefits of CBD treatment for PTSD are:
- CBD oil prevents nightmares – CBD oil for PTSD helps in ceasing or reducing significant nightmares, flashbacks and persistent memories in patients.
- CBD prevents the formation of fear memories – By disrupting the feelings of long-term fear or traumatic memory processing, CBD reduces anxiety and stress. It can also stop the formation of fear memories.
- CBD oil reduces depression and anxiety – CBD for PTSD has a wide range of calming effects that reduce panic attacks, anxiety, compulsiveness and also the long-term effects of stress.
- CBD helps with insomnia – Lack of sleep is one of the symptoms of PTSD and CBD can help with it. Since CBD has amazing relaxing and de-stressing qualities, it can improve your quality of life and even reduce night sweats.
- CBD might put a stop to abuse of harmful substances – Patients with PTSD are usually eager to alleviate their symptoms and most of them end up self-medicating with recreational drugs. CBD is a better option as it only offers therapeutic effects without the psychoactive effects of THC or marijuana. Also, CBD doesn’t have the high potential for addiction that alcohol and marijuana has. Consuming the best CBD oil for PTSD can impede your addiction to other drugs. To know the best CBD oil, you can check out our list of the top 10 CBD oils for PTSD.
More choices available
How to Use Cannabidiol for PTSD?
Before starting your CBD journey, you should talk to your healthcare practitioner, especially if you have underlying conditions. You need to get a go-ahead from your primary caregiver that your present medications and existing routines are not going to trigger adverse side effects when they’re mixed with CBD.
With that said, CBD is a natural and non-addictive natural alternative to popping pills for PTSD. There are various ways to take CBD for PTSD and it comes down to your preference. Also, how fast you wish to experience the results. The various CBD delivery methods include:
- CBD oils and tinctures;
- CBD drink concentrates and edibles like, gummies and lollipops;
- CBD food additives;
- CBD capsules;
- CBD vape oil;
- CBD oil patches.
The best way to use CBD oil for PTSD is vaping as CBD vaping is considered to be the fastest way to get cannabidiol into your bloodstream. However, a lot of people don’t like vaping and for them, CBD oil is recommended. CBD oral tincture also provides ongoing and regular relief quickly. CBD capsules and gummies take longer as the active ingredients take some time to pass through the digestive system before they hit the bloodstream.
If you have opted for CBD tincture or CBD oil for PTSD, you just have to take a few drops and place it under your tongue where it will get easily absorbed into the bloodstream. Keep it there for about 30 seconds to one minute before swallowing.
As for capsules, you can consume it with water. You can eat gummies and consume CBD lollipops the same way as you would eat a regular lollipop. As for CBD drinks, you just have to drink it. For more information on how you should use CBD to cope with PTSD, you can go through our reviews.
Dosage for PTSD
There is no recommended CBD oil dosage for PTSD. If this is your first time consuming CBD oil, we recommend that you start with a small dose. Gradually, you can increase the dosage after understanding how your body reacts to it. You must remember here that everyone’s body is not the same, and therefore, the effects experienced are also not the same.
Also, dosage recommendations can vary based on the product that you choose. Typically, a high dosage ranges from 12 milligrams to 25 milligrams of CBD and this can significantly reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression. The effects can be experienced within 1 to 2 hours after consuming CBD oil. For some, it may take only 10 to 15 minutes to kick in.
The key is to always start low and gradually increase the dosage. You can read out reviews to find out more about CBD dosage for PTSD.
PTSD isn’t curable. But, that doesn’t mean that your life should be run by PTSD. Even though living with such stress and anxiety can be difficult, CBD gives hope. You can use CBD in addition to traditional therapies or on its own. It can help relieve various symptoms of PTSD including insomnia, anxiety, depression, stress, flashbacks and nightmares. Also, it will help you to become calmer and relaxed.
So, leverage the effective and safe treatment offered by CBD oil for PTSD. With your symptoms reduced, you can increase your overall quality of life. Check out our top ten list of CBD oil and products for PTSD and make your choice.
- Loflin, Mallory JE, Kimberly A. Babson, and Marcel O. Bonn-Miller. "Cannabinoids as therapeutic for PTSD." Current opinion in Psychology 14 (2017): 78-83.
- Elms, Lucas, et al. "Cannabidiol in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder: a case series." The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 25.4 (2019): 392-397.
- Bitencourt, Rafael M., and Reinaldo N. Takahashi. "Cannabidiol as a therapeutic alternative for post-traumatic stress disorder: From bench research to confirmation in human trials." Frontiers in neuroscience 12 (2018): 502.
- Ney, Luke J., et al. "Cannabinoid interventions for PTSD: Where to next?." Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry 93 (2019): 124-140.
- Shallcross, John, et al. "The divergent effects of CDPPB and Cannabidiol on fear extinction and anxiety in a predator scent stress model of PTSD in rats." Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience 13 (2019): 91.
- Bonn-Miller, Marcel O., et al. "The short-term impact of 3 smoked cannabis preparations versus placebo on PTSD symptoms: A randomized cross-over clinical trial." PloS one 16.3 (2021): e0246990.
- Premoli, Marika, et al. "Cannabidiol: Recent advances and new insights for neuropsychiatric disorders treatment." Life sciences 224 (2019): 120-127.
- Hindocha, C., et al. "The effectiveness of cannabinoids in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): a systematic review." Journal of dual diagnosis 16.1 (2020): 120-139.
Choose CBD Oils for PTSD now
Tags: what is the best cbd oil, buy cbd oil for vape pen, cbd honey, cbd for constipation, cbd capsules effects, candida cbd strain, cbd crystalline, cbd face cream for rosacea, cbd gummies for tourettes, cbd oil for ibs