CBD for Depression
In recent years, many people have been drawn towards using an unconventional chemical compound like CBD or cannabinoid for treating chronic ailments, including insomnia, migraine, inflammation, arthritis, back pain, anxiety, and depression. The plant-based medicine reacts with brain cells receptors to offer relief against chronic pain and restlessness. CBD is extracted from the flower, root, bud, and stalk of the hemp or cannabis Sativa plant. Hemp is a type of cannabis plant which contains 0.3 percent of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. Hemp is a major compound used in making CBD products as it doesn’t make you ‘high’ or have any psychoactive effect like marijuana. CBD products are available in different variants to help people in pain management and reducing the symptom of various modern-age health issues.
Best CBD for Depression in 2023
Volume: 500mg, 1000mg
How To Use: Shake well, fill dropper and place drops under your tongue
Ingredients Mint: American made CBD (aerial parts), MCT Oil, Mint Flavored Oils, Contains
Ingredients Lemon: American made CBD (aerial parts), MCT Oil, Lemon Flavored Oils, Contains
Ingredients Unflavored: American made CBD (aerial parts), MCT Oil, Contains
Contains: 1000mg of 100% Natural Hemp CBD
THC: 0.3% or less
Extra cannabinoids: CBC, CBG, and CBN
CBDistillery: Lab Results Included
Size: 30ml glass Dropper bottle
Concentration: 23+ mg of full-spectrum cannabinoids | 2000iu Vitamin D
THC % :< 0.3% :
Daily Recommended Serving: 1ml per Serving. Take one serving orally up to twice per day or as directed by a medical professional
Ingredients: Organic MCT Coconut Oil, Hemp extract, Vitamin D, natural flavoring
Serving Size: 15 drops
Servings per container: 30
Size: mylar bag 16oz 7x11 1/2 x4"
Concentration: varies depending on strain
THC %: < .3%
Ingredients: hemp flower
Uses / Applications: Smoking
How to Use: Take 1-2 CBD gummies as needed
Natural fruit flavors: Orange, Grape, and Lemon
Ingredients: American made Cannabidiol(CBD) from hemp extract (aerial parts), Corn Syrup, Refined Sugar, Pectin, Sodium Citrate, Glycerin Fatty Acid Ester, Lecithin, D-Sorbitol Solution, Gelatin
Ingredients: Hemp-Derived Phytocannabinoids, Organic Hemp Oil, Peppermint Flavor, and Vitamin E
Weight: 3 oz
Concentration: 150mg, 500mg, 1000mg, 1500mg, 2000mg
Ingredients: Industrial hemp cannabidiol (cbd) proprietary blend, Corn syrup, sugar, white grape juice from concentrate, gelatin, citric acid, sorbitol
Allergen information: manufactured in a facility which produces products that may contain nuts, dairy, wheat, gluten, egg and soy products
Ingredients: MCT, natural hemp extract/cbd oil, natural flavor
View all CBD for Depression
What is Depression?
Depression is a mental illness that may be caused by one or many factors, including psychological, social, and family environmental, and biological factors. The medical illness affects both the brain and body, leading to severe mental and physical health problems. Depression is a mood disorder that causes various behavioral and emotional changes which can lead to several things like loss of interest, feeling of sadness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, feeling of worthlessness, and suicidal and death thoughts. Depression is a destructive illness that can affect an individual in several harmful ways, some may lead to loss of life.
CBD as an Option to Treat Depression
CBD for depression research is quite an up-and-coming topic in the scientific community. Every day new studies are coming out across the globe in favor of CBD helping depression.
Several CBD studies show that upon consistent consumption, it can help alter the serotonin levels in your brain, having a positive effect acting as a much healthier version of an antidepressant.
- Reduced Appetite: One of the major symptoms of depression is that you can sometimes have a reduced appetite. As a result, once you loose your appetite, you lose your energy, your mood decreases even more, and there’s a knock-on effect. CBD oil is known to stimulate your appetite by boosting the efficiency of the endocannabinoids in your brain, making you feel less full.
- Anxiety: Panic disorders and anxiety attacks are so common in depression they can affect around 5% of the global population. There’s a lot of scientific research where CBD oil has been given to animals and humans. These studies have shown reduced symptoms such as a lower heart rate, less likely to sweat, and feeling a lot calmer.
- Difficulty sleeping: Insomnia or anxiety-induced sleeping difficulties as a byproduct of depression can be a horrible symptom to experience. Lack of sleep-in depression can easily affect your mood. There’s research that indicates CBD oil can lower your cortisol levels, having a sedative effect.
- Loss of interest: Some people who have depression may experience times where they lack motivation. CBD oil is known to do the opposite it allows people to feel more alert. This is partly due to the THC in the CBD oil; it can activate your neurons, making you more alert and stimulated based on the time you take it.
- Headaches: CBD oil is known to reduce inflammation and reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches.
- Sadness: CBD oil is known to positively interact with your serotonin receptors, making you feel happier.
How to Take CBD for Depression?
When buying CBD oil for depression, you’ll be presented with a few different options. You can typically buy three types: CBD isolates, Full Spectrum CBD, and Broad-spectrum CBD.
To put it in a simpler form, CBD isolate contains no THC or chemicals. Full-spectrum CBD oil has CBD and THC, whereas broad-spectrum contains no THC. When treating depression or alleviating its symptoms, many researchers recommend taking full-spectrum CBD oil as it provides more benefits than its counterparts.
This is because there are more compounds in the hemp plant for this drug boosting your mood. However, it’s important to know that CBD oil is not a one size fits all solution, and you might find some work more for you than others. To find out which is better, you might want to speak to a specialized doctor first.
More choices available
There’s a range of ways to take CBD oil for depression; some are in liquid form, gummies, tablets, capsules, and topical form. For it to have antidepressant properties, it’s believed that it’s only effective if you ingest it. Applying CBD oil through creams, balms, or ointments will only provide localized effects.
If you don’t like the taste of CBD oil, you can always place it in smoothies, drinks, coffee, or more. Capsules and edibles are also extremely popular choices for taking CBD oil for depression.
If you’re planning on taking CBD oil for depression, it’s always best to start with a small dose and then gradually progress. If you’ve not been advised to take it by your doctor, you should first begin with a small dose of 10mg-20mg a day.
Take this for a week and see how your body responds to it before going higher. Then if you feel like you need more, increase by 5mg each week. You should speak to a specialized doctor first to reduce your chances of having an allergic reaction and know what’s best for you.
How to Choose?
Before going out and buying CBD oil, you should take your time to consider the following:
- Price. Always consider the cost of CBD oil before you buy it, especially if you want to use it for depression. CBD oil might be a long-term solution you take over weeks, months, and years; therefore, you will want to have something that’s friendly in your pocket. At the same time, you will want to pay good money, so you know you’re getting the best for your money. Ideally, you should look at CBD depression reviews to give you an idea of how good it is before buying.
- How it’s extracted. CBD can be pulled from various methods; however, the safest and most hygienic one is using carbon dioxide. Look out for CBD oils with this extraction method because it’s safe, clean and you’re not getting any additional additives. If you choose other options, you could ingest dangerous solvents and chemicals, causing more health problems.
- Potency. There are so many different CBD oils on the market, all of which have different strengths and potencies. Regarding depression, you will want to look for CBD oils with a stronger potency to be more effective. If you’re taking CBD oil for the first time, though, you will want an oil with a low potency. But generally, the lower potencies only help acute symptoms.
- Type of hemp.When buying CBD oil, you will find yourself presented with various options from several countries. It’s not always guaranteed how the oil is grown and that it follows the same practices. Because of this, you should aim to purchase CBD oil that comes from the USA.
The reason for this is that CBD oil from the USA follows strict regulations and guidelines. In addition to this you should aim to look for CBD that’s been tested by an independent third-party laboratory. Labs like these will provide certifications of results showing their transparency.
Side Effects and Possible Risks
There’s a lot of scientific research surrounding CBD oil, and the side effects can be completely subjective. It’s always best to speak to a doctor first before taking, but it can be known to:
- Make you more thirsty
- Make you lethargic
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce appetite
- Increase appetite
If you’re currently taking any antipsychotic medications such as antidepressants, antibiotics, or blood thinners, you should speak to a doctor first. The reason for this is that it can reduce their effectiveness. Your liver metabolizes CBD oil the same way it does for these medications, making them break down slower.
Overall, there’s a lot of research conducted in animal and human studies favoring CBD oil as a treatment for depression. This is because it helps alter the serotonin levels in your brain, making you feel more relaxed and happier. It’s also known to help with certain symptoms of depression by reducing inflammation, stopping headaches, increasing appetite, and acting as a sedative. CBD for depression treatment is best in oral form as opposed to topical form.
Choose CBD for Depression now
Can CBD cause depression?
It’s unlikely CBD will make you depressed; in fact, it’s the opposite. CBD is known to have positive effects on your serotonin receptors, making you feel happier and more alert.
Can CBD help with depression?
CBD is not known to cure depression completely, but it can help ease some of its side effects. In particular, CBD oil can help you feel more alert, happier, have fewer headaches, help you sleep, and more.
How to use CBD oil for depression?
If you’re planning on taking CBD oil for depression, you should always consult a doctor first. When taking CBD oil, you should start in a low dose, then gradually progress and always take in an oral form.
- Shoval, Gal, et al. "Prohedonic effect of cannabidiol in a rat model of depression." Neuropsychobiology 73.2 (2016): 123-129.
- Liu, Junhan, and McIntyre Burnham. "The effects of CBD and THC in animal models of depression and anxiety." Clinical Neurophysiology 130.8 (2019): e118-e119.
- R de Mello Schier, Alexandre, et al. "Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: A chemical compound of Cannabis sativa." CNS & Neurological Disorders-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-CNS & Neurological Disorders) 13.6 (2014): 953-960.
- García-Gutiérrez, María S., et al. "Cannabidiol: a potential new alternative for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and psychotic disorders." Biomolecules 10.11 (2020): 1575.
- Gáll, Zsolt, et al. "Effects of chronic cannabidiol treatment in the rat chronic unpredictable mild stress model of depression." Biomolecules 10.5 (2020): 801.
- Laczkovics, Clarissa, et al. "Cannabidiol treatment in an adolescent with multiple substance abuse, social anxiety and depression." neuropsychiatrie (2020): 1-4.
- Black, Nicola, et al. "Cannabinoids for the treatment of mental disorders and symptoms of mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis." The Lancet Psychiatry 6.12 (2019): 995-1010.
Tags: best time of day to take cbd oil, cbd oil and type 1 diabetes, advantages of cbd oil for menopause, cbd pain relief balm, affordability of cbd oil in tennessee, what is cbd syrup, cbd oil for dogs anxiety, cbd vape pens, cbd oil for adhd reviews, cbd oil for energy