Best CBD Oil for COPD
There has been some evidence that cannabis could be a useful treatment for lung diseases for some time, and as more research has been done, CBD oil for COPD has been proven effective and has become fairly popular. Our list of the top ten CBD oils for COPD can help you find a high-quality treatment option. Check that list out below, and keep reading to see why CBD is so useful against COPD.
What is COPD and how does it affect the body?
If we want to understand why CBD oil can help individuals with COPD, we need to know what COPD is and what it does.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) is a chronic condition that is caused by damaged airways in the lungs. This damage is brought on by external sources, like smoking or severe pollution, and makes it difficult to breathe. In very rare cases, COPD can also be caused by a genetic condition involving a specific protein deficiency. Currently, COPD cannot be reversed or cured, so treatment revolves around mitigating symptoms, improving quality of life, and slowing further damage to the lungs. Once a person has been diagnosed with COPD, they must treat it actively for the rest of their life if they wish to prevent it from becoming severe and affecting everyday activities.
One of the reasons that CBD oil for COPD is such a popular treatment is that it causes no side effects and is completely safe to take for extended periods of time, which is exactly what individuals with COPD need.
The Benefits of CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is an impressive compound, as it positively affects health in many ways with very little to no risk of adverse effects. The most commonly reported benefits of CBD use are:
- Pain relief - CBD can be a powerful pain reliever, which is why it is often used by individuals with pain that is resistant to drugs, such as people undergoing treatment for cancer. Unlike many powerful man-made pain relievers, it cannot cause an overdose, become physically addictive, or damage your body over time.
- Anti-inflammation - Many people use CBD, both orally and topically, to reduce inflammation. Often this is tied to pain relief, and inflammation throughout the body can cause a variety of other symptoms. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD are likely one of the primary reasons it is such a useful treatment for many conditions.
- Improved sleep - Some people take CBD specifically for insomnia, and even those who take it for other purposes report increased sleep or improved quality of sleep. This is likely related to the calming and relaxing effects of cannabis compounds like CBD.
The Current Research
The specific treatment path of CBD oil for COPD symptoms is fairly new, and more research needs to be done before the scientific community calls any results conclusive. However, for now, the studies which have been done in both animals and humans strongly support the idea that CBD can improve symptoms and quality of life in people with COPD.
As early as the 70’s and 80’s, people have noticed an increased ease of breathing associated with marijuana use. It was suggested that the lung-dilation effects of marijuana were so strong that smoking marijuana could actually relieve asthma symptoms, despite conventional wisdom stating that smoke aggravates asthma symptoms. In the 2010’s, a handful of animal studies were performed which specifically looked at the effects of CBD on lung diseases. One study, focused on mice, found that lung inflammation was significantly reduced, and lung function significantly improved, with CBD treatment. Another, on guinea pigs, found that CBD could open up bronchial passages and make breathing easier.
However, a couple of small studies suggest that the use of the entire cannabis plant, of full-spectrum cannabis extract, or of a THC-CBD combination is not effective against COPD symptoms.
THC vs CBD for COPD
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is one of the other main compounds found in the cannabis plant. Some people claim that CBD, THC, and the other cannabis compounds should always be used together, as this makes them more effective. This theory is referred to as the “entourage effect”, but it has not been proven by any scientific studies.
Whether the entourage effect is true or not, it appears that THC and COPD are a bad combination. When studied on its own, THC has been shown to have no effect at all on COPD symptoms like breathlessness. Since THC is psychoactive, using it as a treatment when it does nothing or very little is a potentially dangerous idea.
Studies on THC and CBD together are inconclusive. Some of them show a bit of improvement, while others found no improvement. This, combined with the studies in support of CBD for COPD, can mean only one thing: the best treatment option is to use pure CBD oil for COPD. This is actually quite reasonable, and even somewhat predictable, because this relationship between THC and CBD can be seen in other areas. With regard to many things, like neurological and mental health effects, THC and CBD seem to have opposite effects. So, if CBD improves COPD symptoms, it makes sense that THC would do nothing or potentially even cancel out the benefits of CBD.
What You Should Consider When Buying CBD Oil for COPD
When shopping for a CBD oil for COPD, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Quality - Since the FDA doesn’t regulate CBD or other cannabis products, you need to find something that is tested and verified by a third party. Most companies that submit products for third-party testing make the results readily available and advertise them on their labels. If this seems intimidating, use our top ten list to get started with high-quality products.
- Legality - CBD is legal most places these days, but not everywhere. Get familiar with your local laws before buying or using any CBD products.
- Safety - It is very rare for CBD to cause side effects, but it’s always a good idea to check with your doctor about treatment changes, anyway. They will be able to advise you about potential drug interactions and anything else that may impact the kind of treatment that would be best for you.
Current studies indicate that CBD oil for COPD can be a very useful treatment. It reduces inflammation and dilates the airways, improving the primary COPD symptoms. Before starting CBD, discuss your treatment plan with your doctor. Our top ten list can help you find safe, high-quality options that could alleviate your symptoms.
Tags: best time to take cbd oil, cbd tinctures, best pain relief salve, cbd powder uses, cbd oil and depression, cbd oil vape juice, cbd honey sticks effects, cbd oil used topically for hemorrhoids, cbd oil for leg cramps, cbd oil concentrate for adhd